Wednesday, March 30, 2011

A day like no other.

My day started off a bit rocky but it got better within seconds. Today I taught the group a few "Azteca Danza" steps. It was a lot of fun and I really enjoyed seeing people get the steps. I'm not going to lie, it's not an easy dance to learn but I was extremely impressed by how fast everyone learned it. Yesterday and today my mom came to see and experience everything we've been doing. One of her ideas were for me to do a whole presentation for the group, of course everyone agreed with her. At first I hesitated because I don't really feel comfortable dancing all by myself, but Denis did it with me too, so it wasn't that bad. We were dancing for about an hour when our guest speaker arrived. She was teaching us so many things and bought a lot of the items for us to see. One item that really stuck to me the most was the azteca sonaja it's like a maraca used during the Aztec dance. ( i guess thats why it struck me the most) 




My favorite part was when she taught us a song about mother nature in Nahuatl. 


The beat of the song was suck in my head. Being Mexican and learning so much about my roots today has inspire me to learn more and explore everything I need to know to feel more connected with my culture. After the this we got ready to go to Girelle's house. The menu for today was Ceviche (which is shrimp cocktail) and Chifles which are Plantain Chips. Daisy, Jared, Jennifer and myself worked on the Ceviche. Once again everyone had a task and we all worked together. I personally had so much fun doing the Ceviche and the Chifles. The final results were amazing. 

  

I had to leave early :( So i didn't get to taste the Corn cake Fernanda and Stephanie did for us and the drink Wendy was working on. But I'm hoping to have some tomorrow. I came home and surprised my family by making the chips. They loved it and were all gone within minutes.

I've been super happy about everything I've been learning this past week that I am actually going to cook the Chicken Stew we learned on Monday for my family tomorrow. I'm kind of nervous but very excited. It won't be the same though, cause I wont have everyone around to help but I'm hoping it comes out just as tasty. 



I am really excited for tomorrow ! We are going to spend most of the day in the city  
Laura Lopez <3

No comments:

Post a Comment